Many homeowners, considering selling their homes, contemplate why they should, or should not, use the services of a real estate agent. Generally, their main reasons not to, include simply eliminating paying a commission, and believing they don’t need one (they can do it themselves?). Although statistics indicate homeowners generally receive offers, and thus sell their homes, quicker and at a price which more than covers the commissions/ fees, real estate professionals must clearly demonstrate their value. Similarly, buyers often attempt to forego using an agent, but generally realize, they are limiting their possibilities, etc, by doing so. Therefore, this article, will review 6 things/ reasons for using an agent, and whether you are a seller or buying, what a real estate professional must provide, in terms of services, knowledge, expertise, etc.
1. Know the market: Who will know a local real estate market better than a licensed, active agent? Choose an agent who truly knows, understands and can explain to you, factually, and without empty rhetoric, the nuances, etc of the market you are interested in! This will save you time, money, hassle, and a lot of disappointment and frustration!
2. Sales/ marketing ability: Interview several real estate professionals, before selecting the one, who may be right, for you! Have a frank discussion about sales and marketing, and directly ask what the marketing plan includes, your responsibilities, professional advice, philosophy, etc! In addition, ask the agent to justify his commission, and observe how convincingly he does so. If someone can’t defend his fee, how will he ever be able to properly represent you, and negotiate in your best interests?
3. Negotiating system, strength and expertise: What is the agent’s philosophy and approach, regarding negotiations? Is it cooperative or adversarial? Does he seem to make empty promises, or does he carefully, and thoroughly take the time, and make the effort, to explain? Ask him why he thinks negotiating is a strength, and what he does, including mindset, philosophy, etc! Why does he consider himself an expert in this vital area?
4. Attention to detail: Does he let you know upfront, both what he will provide to you, but also his expectations? Does he listen to you, or speak over you? Does he appear to merely be trying to acquire your listing, or does he fully review the process, and how he will service your account, professionally? How much attention is being paid, to details, such as curb appeal, staging/ de – clutter, etc?
5. Keeping client informed: My personal trademarked motto is, I will always tell you what you need to know, not just what you want to hear (TM). This means telling what you should expect, updating constantly, holding your hand throughout, offering feedback, suggestions, etc. Don’t you deserve to be kept informed?
6. Absolute allegiance: Ethically, morally, and legally, real estate agents owe their clients absolute allegiance, within legal limitations. He serves your best interests, keeping personal, fiduciary, etc, aspects, in confidence!
You deserve the services of a quality real estate professional. In most cases, it will help you get the best available price, in the least amount of time, with a minimum of hassle!